Idiom: one’s jaw drops
Idiom: one’s jaw drops (open)
- to be shocked by something
- to show great surprise
- When our son saw that we bought him a new car for his birthday, his jaw dropped.
- When they announced I was the one who got the promotion, everyone’s jaw dropped, including mine.
- My dad’s jaw is going to drop open when he sees my report card.
- My mother gave me a very nice Celine bag for my birthday and my jaw dropped open when I saw the $4,500 price tag.
- Our jaws dropped open when we saw the skimpy outfit my assistant was wearing to the office party—it was so inappropriate.
- The sergeant's jaw dropped when he came home from active duty in Syria and saw that his wife was six months pregnant.
- Our jaw dropped when we found out our son had started gender reassignment surgery to become a woman.
- Try not to let your jaw drop when you see Sandy's tattoo. I'm warning you now, it's huge.
- lost for words
- at a loss for words
- caught off guard
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: one’s jaw drops