Idiom: look down on someone
Idiom: look down at someone / something
- to see something or someone as inferior
- to disapprove of someone or something
Note: This is also frequently used as look down one’s nose at someone / something
- I hate to say this but my father looks down on anyone who doesn’t come from a wealthy background.
- Don’t look down on these jeans just because they don’t have a designer label on them. If you like them, buy them.
- My children turn their nose down on vegetables unless I cover them with sauce or cheese.
- My mother-in-law looks down her nose on me because I'm a little chubby.
- Before you look down on my girlfriend because of her tattoos, you should know that they're a tribute to her sister who died in an accident.
- Those sorority girls look down on us, which is hysterical because we feel sorry for them having to work so hard to be pretty and popular.
- Many countries look down their noses on Americans for being wasteful and arrogant.
- Our neighbors never looked down on us even though they're doctors and lawyers and my parents run a dry cleaning store.
- I can't help but look down on people who wear thick lip liner that's a shade darker than their lips—it's so ghetto!
- I shouldn't but I can't help looking down on people who smoke and use tobacco products when it's proven to cause cancer.
- turn one's nose up at someone
- look down your nose at
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: look down on someone