- to make a stop somewhere during travel, usually because of scheduling requirements
- I’m just about to board a plane for the Philippines but I have a six-hour layover in Abu Dhabi and I’ll check email when I’m there.
- I couldn’t find any direct flights to San Francisco. Unfortunately, I have to layover in both Chicago and Denver!
- Is there a nonstop flight to London? I don't want to have to layover unless it's absolutely necessary.
- Unfortunately, my plane was late and the layover in Washington was so short that I missed my connecting flight.
- If you have a layover in Dubai, you can shop at their humongous duty-free shop.
- My secretary booked a room at the hotel inside Istanbul International Airport, so I slept and showered during the layover there.
- We've decided to leave the airport and take a city tour because we have a nine hour layover in Singapore.
- If you're flying to Europe from the West Coast, you're likely to have a layover at JFK airport in New York City.
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: layover