Idiom: hold a candle to
Idiom: (someone/something) can/can’t hold a candle to (someone/something)
- to not be as good or desirable in comparison to something else
- He may have the most beautiful girlfriend but she can’t hold a candle to my fiancee. Maggie is kind, beautiful and smart!
- Everyone on my street has a landscaping service but I have so many interesting plants, no one's garden can hold a candle to mine.
- Your horse is unbelievably beautiful. No one else’s can hold a candle to yours.
- No one can hold a candle to my mother’s quilts—the design and workmanship are superb.
- If you want to purchase a simple bouquet I recommend you go to Jack’s florists—no one’s flowers hold a candle to his and you can’t beat the price either.
- Wow! I don’t think anyone else's performance can hold a candle to your daughter’s piano solo.
- Isn't my baby an angel? No one else can hold a candle to her.
- After 50 years of marriage, my wife is still incredibly beautiful and kind. No one can hold a candle to her.
- come near
- measure up
- be in the same league
Get our free idioms in pictures ebook
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: hold a candle to