Idiom: about to (do something)
about to (do something):
- to be ready to do something
- to be planning to do something
- on the verge of doing something
- I was about to raise my hand in class when Sally shouted out the answer.
- I thought my boyfriend was about to propose marriage but he broke-up with me instead.
- What took you so long to get here? I was about to leave.
- I'm about to put dinner on the table so go wash your hands.
- Sssshhh! The speaker is about to start his lecture.
- We were about to buy a new car when our neighbor told us he was trying to sell his two-year-old Mercedes.
- The plane it's about to land so please put your seat in the upright position and close your tray table.
- Don't say another word! I'm about to lose my patience with you.
- The toy store announce it's about to close 40% of its stores to avoid bankruptcy.
- I was just about to cheat on my diet but luckily my sister called and talked me out of it.
- on the verge of
- at the point of
- fixing to
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom "about to"