Idiom: talk past each other
talk past each other / talk past someone:
- A situation where two or ore people talk about different subjects while believing they are talking about the same thing.
- In American politics the left and the right simply talk past each other without having any real dialogue.
- I know my parents' marriage is going to end in divorce—they constantly talk past each other.
- Our company brought in an outside expert who found we were talking past our customers rather than having a real dialogue.
- It's really important for parents to try to improve communication with their teenagers because it's very easy to talk past one another.
- I thought there was agreement between us but we were merely talking past each other.
- A mediator helped us see we were talking past each other and helped us re-frame the discussion so we could resolve our differences.
- I suddenly realized my boss and I were talking past each other when evaluating my request for a raise.
- With such huge differences in opinions on immigration, it's not surprising everyone's talking past each other.
- My ex-boyfriend and I seemed to always talk past each other when discussing religion because we saw the concept very differently.
- When my girlfriend said she couldn't believe I'd break up with her right before finals I realized we had been talking past each other for the past 15 minutes.
- not (be) on the same page
Get our free idioms in pictures ebook
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: talk past each other