Idiom: talk past each other
talk past each other / talk past someone:
- A situation where two or ore people talk about different subjects while believing they are talking about the same thing.
- In American politics the left and the right simply talk past each other without having any real dialogue.
- I know my parents' marriage is going to end in divorce—they constantly talk past each other.
- Our company brought in an outside expert who found we were talking past our customers rather than having a real dialogue.
- It's really important for parents to try to improve communication with their teenagers because it's very easy to talk past one another.
- I thought there was agreement between us but we were merely talking past each other.
- A mediator helped us see we were talking past each other and helped us re-frame the discussion so we could resolve our differences.
- I suddenly realized my boss and I were talking past each other when evaluating my request for a raise.
- With such huge differences in opinions on immigration, it's not surprising everyone's talking past each other.
- My ex-boyfriend and I seemed to always talk past each other when discussing religion because we saw the concept very differently.
- When my girlfriend said she couldn't believe I'd break up with her right before finals I realized we had been talking past each other for the past 15 minutes.
- not (be) on the same page
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: talk past each other