Idiom: wash down something
Idiom: wash down something (wash something down)
- to drink a liquid to help swallow something
- Could I have a glass of water so I can wash down these pills?
- We washed down my birthday cake with a bottle of champagne.
- Do not wash fondue down with a cold drink or it will form a solid ball of cheese in your stomach. Drink wine or tea instead!
- What shall we wash these salads down with? Sparkling or still water?
- When we were in France we washed every meal down with the house wine, which was always very good.
- My mother's cooking is so bland. You'll have to use a lot of salt and pepper and wash it down with a soda.
- What are you doing washing your pills down with a glass of wine? That's dangerous!
- He used to wash my breakfast biscuits down with a cup of strong black coffee.
- My wife washed down her sorrows about the NY Yankee's loss with a 6-pack of beer.
- These fries and cheeseburger are so unhealthy I may as well wash them down with a chocolate milk shake.
- It always seemed crazy when I used to arrive on an early morning flight at Munich's airport and see Germans washing down breakfast with beers!
Get our free idioms in pictures ebook
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: wash down something