Idiom: turn a deaf ear
Idiom: turn a deaf ear (to something)
- to not listen to what someone is saying
- to ignore someone
- When my manager started talking about the holiday party, everyone turned a deaf ear.
- For years my best friend has been saying he would start his own business but never did anything and now everyone turns a deaf ear whenever he talks about it.
- My husband's work is so boring it so hard not to turn a deaf ear when he talks about it.
- I hate teaching middle school students—they turn a deaf ear in class no matter what I do.
- What can we do to get our passengers to not turn a deaf ear during the airline safety message?
- I already told you that the auditors arrived a half an hour ago—were you turning a deaf ear before?
- You can tell when my father is turning a deaf ear to my mom because he's just saying, "Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh..."
- turn a blind eye
- pay no attention to
- pay no mind
Get our free idioms in pictures ebook
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: turn a deaf ear