Idiom: try your hand at something
Idiom: try your hand at something (try one's hand at something)
- do an activity for the first time to learn whether you like it or are good at it
- Normally, I don’t like to exercise but I’m going to try my hand at golf.
- Yesterday, I tried my hand at baking bread and it was so easy and delicious I’m going to do it every week.
- Have you tried your hand at bowling? Our office has a league you could join.
- This weekend my husband and I are going to try our hand at poker with his old high school friends.
- I wish I'd never tried my hand at scuba diving—now I love it and it's an expensive hobby.
- Bungee jumping, paragliding and spelunking—what will your son try his hand at next?
- When we go to Spain I think I'll try my hands at running with the bulls.
- When I first tried my hand at skiing, I was the worst but I kept trying until I got good.
- give something to try/go
- dip a/your toe into something
- give something a whirl
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: try your hand at something