Idiom: give up something
Idiom: give up something (give something up)
- to stop doing or having something
- After I got pregnant I had to immediately give up smoking.
- I had to give up drinking five cups of coffee a day because of heartburn. Now I drink herbal tea in the morning.
- What are you giving up for Lent this year?
- I used to love going out drinking on Thursday nights but I had to give that up after I started working full-time.
- I would really like to give up eating meat but I don't know many vegetarian recipes and I hate to cook.
- I gave up calling you to go out because you are always busy or too tired to do anything.
- My husband's doctor said he needs to give up spinach, red meat, alcohol, and sugary foods so we're going to have to completely change our meals.
- I had to give up my dream of running a marathon because my knees just can't handle that amount of mileage.
- do without
- abstain from
- refrain from
You might like these idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: give up something