Idiom: Have your cake and eat it too
Idiom: have your cake and eat it too
- to do or have two desired things at the same time
- Working at the university library lets me have my cake and eat it too—I can study and make money at the same time.
- My roommate thinks he can have his cake and it it too but I'm not sure his two girlfriends would agree if they knew about it.
- With fruit-infused water, you can have your cake and eat it too—great refreshing taste with zero calories or additives.
- My ex-wife thought she could have her cake and eat it too by collecting alimony while working on the side without reporting her income.
- My boss wanted to have his cake and eat it too by forcing us to arrive early and start working but not pay us for the extra time but someone reported him to the labor department.
- Voters continue to try to have their cake and eat it too by electing politicians that promise lots of services without raising taxes.
- My kids want to get great grades without studying so I've had to explain that they can't have their cake and eat it too.
- When I first started taking meth it seemed like I could have my cake and eat it too but then the addiction took over my whole life and destroyed it.
- have the best of both worlds
- butter one's bread on both sides
- have it both ways
Get our free idioms in pictures ebook
You might like these other idioms
More idioms will be added in the future so check back frequently or sign-up for my free newsletter to learn about new updates to my website.
> Main idioms list
> idiom: have your cake and eat it too