How to Form the Future Continuous Tense
Let's learn how to form the future continuous in the affirmative, negative and question forms. I've included many examples to help make everything very clear. Before we get started, this tense is also called the future progressive tense. (As you can see, both names try to describe an action that is continuing or in progress)
[Note: Click here to learn how to use this tense.]
** There are some important spelling changes when forming the continuous -- click here if you need to review verb-ing spelling changes. **
Future continuous positive form
To form the future continuous, we use will be + the infinitive of the verb + an -ing ending.
It is also possible to use contractions as show in the chart above:
I will = I'll you will = you'll he will = he'll etc.
- They will be skiing this weekend. / They'll be skiing this weekend.
- You will be seeing my brother next week in Tokyo.
- He will be bringing his new girlfriend to the picnic.
- I think my daughter will be sleeping when I get home.
- We will be cooking all day to prepare our Thanksgiving dinner.
- You'll be eating healthier foods when you don't have to travel so much.
- They'll be reading about the Cold War for the next two lectures.
Future continuous negative form
To make an affirmative (positive) statement negative, add "not" before the verb + -ing. You can also use a contraction (won't). We often use contractions in spoken English.
- I will not be going to bed late tonight. / I won't be going to bed late.
- You won't be doing much cooking this week.
- The children will not be walking to school when it's snowing.
- My girlfriend won't be reading my emails anymore.
- They will not be telling us much about next week's test.
- She won't be planning any trips until after graduation.
- They won't be opening the library until 2:00 pm today.
Future continuous yes/no questions (positive)
To form questions that can be answered with "yes" or "no" answers, follow this format:
Will + subject + be + verb-ing ?
- Will I be reading any novels written by women this semester?
- Will he be speaking with his advisor this afternoon?
- Will the pilot be announcing updates during the flight?
- Will we be sleeping in cabins or tents on the camping trip?
- Will we be skiing in the mornings and the afternoons?
- Will they be going home today or tomorrow?
Wh- questions future continuous
Use the formula above to create Wh- questions in the future continuous.
- Where will he be staying when he is in Panama?
- Where will they be playing their next match?
- When will the presenters be making their presentations?
- Why will the trains be running later on Thursday?
- What will your friends be wearing to the dance?
- I wonder what songs Madonna will be singing at the concert?
- Where will you be working after graduation?
- How long will your parents be traveling in Europe this summer?
Be careful as there are also some spelling changes with the continuous (-ing) form. Click here if you need further help with forming -ing.
Check back for exercises that will help you practice this tense.
Now that you've learned how to form the future continuous, click here to learn how to use it.
Future Continuous Form